Re: gcc 3.5 integration branch proposal

On Jan 13, 2004, at 16:47, Andrew Pinski wrote:

On Jan 13, 2004, at 15:29, Mike Stump wrote:

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 03:13 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:
Some of the problem is that we have people maintaining *large* numbers of areas of the compiler

We need more people assigned (not more assignments for existing people) to various areas of the compiler, who *want* to be [ ... ] improving speed

Along these lines, I'd like to see C++ about 4x faster. I'd be happy with 2x faster[1], anything less, well, isn't interesting. I'd like for the SC to find and appoint such a person to tackle speed problems.

So far, it isn't happening...

1 - Assumes no regressions...

C++ has been improved for 3.4 compared to even 2.95.3. One we are more standards
complaint. Two, speed also has decreased (at least in the last three days, mostly thanks
to Jan Hubicka). Optimization speed has also decreased also. Looks like you are
volunteering for the position of speeding up C++.

Okay I am going to rewrite this one more time and try again at what I am really trying to
say.

Compile time speed has been decreased in the last three days, mostly thanks to Jan
Hubicka. Jan is improving both speed of the compiler while optimizing and also with no
optimizations. Also it looks like you are volunteering to help out, why do you not
propose a patch or two to help the effect here, I already posted some of my like six
months ago.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski