Re: less dwarf2 debug info stored in .o on ia64

Hi Jim,

We are working on the enhancement of the tool lcrash which can analyse a
linux kernel crash dump with the help of a .o file which has most of the
information on the kernel data structures. This .o is created
at the time of compilation of the kernel.
There are commands within this utility to view the kernel data
structures. We are implementing dwarf2 support for this tool.
And with the .o file having dwarf2 info, we are unable to display the
info
on the unnamed padding fields. This leads to difference in the
declaration
of the structure in the header file and displayed by the tool.

We tried going through gcc source code but could not get much headway in
dwarf2out.c. If you could kindly point to the general direction
(e.g. function names etc.) where this decision is taken, we can try to
study the code more.

Thanks and regards,
Rens.