Re: [Makefile] PR bootstrap/12744 Allow release tarballs to build without bison/flex/makeinfo

>> Anybody see another way around this.  One way, I suppose would be to
>> ifdef all the generated .texi rules depending on
>> --enable-maintainer-mode as suggested earlier.
>
> This sounds right to me.  :-(  Could you do this?  (Or have you
already
> done it and I missed it?)

Hi,

I tried something similar originally; the problem I ran into was that
all the front-ends use Make-lang.in frags which because they are
included by make and not configure will never get subsitituted by
config.status.

There might be an easy way around this, but I don't see it.  autoconf
has AC_SUBST_FILE, but the docs specifically say included files do not
get substituted.  I suppose I attempt could hack our own simliar macro
which accomplishes the same thing except it does subsitute.

Coming up with a fix to this would also allow an acceptable fix to the
generated ada/*.texi problem.

Does anybody else have another idea.

The last version I submitted was at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-12/msg00517.html and then I ran
into more pressing non-GCC issues ? namely moving into a house whose
kitchen and bathrooms aren't ready yet.

Besides the first matter, I know you did not like copying source files
into the build directory; the good news is that this turned out to be
unneeded after I had added vpath.

Were you OK with eliminating $(parsedir) and $(docobjdir) as suggested
in the other patch.

Finally, am I correct in understanding that you want to eliminate
--generated-files-in-srcdir for --enable-maintainer-mode.  These are
not intended to do the same thing, AFAIK.  or were you just suggesting
that --generated-files-in-srcdir works like --enable-maintainer-mode in
which case I run into the first problem mentioned.

Kelley Cook