VAX support (was: m68k bootstrapping broken)

On Sun, 2004-01-11 10:05:59 -0800, Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
wrote in message <6.0.1.1.2.20040111100346.04bf15e8@3am-software.com>:
> At 01:11 AM 1/11/2004, Richard Henderson wrote:
> >On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:32:54AM +0100, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> >> Just an idea: m68k is the only cc0 target capable of an
> >> hosted bootstrap.  Is it possible that middle-end changes
> >> have subtly broken cc0 targets without anyone noticing
> >> except on the m68k?
> >Possible, yes.  It wouldn't be my first guess though.
>
> VAX (a cc0 target) is also quite broken in gcc 3.4.  I've been at a
> loss to figure out why.  (And VAX could do a hosted bootstrap if gcc
> wasn't so broken).

I'd *love* to see VAX cured! For vax-linux, we currently use a quite
dated compiler which glibc refuses to build with...

Rumors tell me that it isn't much work to introduce vax-linux support
(after the VAX backend basically works again). I'm not really into gcc,
but where is (currently) the exact problem with VAX? Maybe I can at
least understand it:)

MfG, JBG