Re: C compiler for Win 95/98

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 10:16:37PM -0800, Stephan T. Lavavej wrote:
>[Christopher Faylor]
>>MinGW uses DLLs just like every single other windows executable.
>
>Yes, but those DLLs are part of Windows.  So the applications that
>MinGW produces look like they run standalone.

Not necessarily.  MinGW has its own DLL, too: mingwm*.dll .  It gets
linked in if you use certain functions that aren't in msvcrt.dll.

>>Cygwin is intended to provide a UNIX-like environment on Windows.
>
>And thus should not be recommended to people who just want to compile
>C++ (or C, as the case may be) on Windows.

But that wasn't your argument was it?  You argued that cygwin shouldn't
be used because "DLLs are evil".  This is an absurd statement that
needed to be clarified.

If you want to argue "I'd rather use MinGW because I don't need any UNIX
emulation", that's fine.  That wasn't what you said originally, however.
Hence my clarification.

cgf