less dwarf2 debug info stored in .o on ia64

Hi,

I am compiling a .o file which includes some header files.
My intention is to compile with the -gdwarf-2 flag so that the .o file will contain debug information of the files included also.
This is working fine on i386 architecture, but not on an Itanium 2 (IA64).
The .o created in ia64 is not having the complete information of the data structures declared in the header files.
The .c file is only having a dummy function, and the #include directives.

I tried running 'readelf -w' on the .o file to find some symbols. But some symbols are missing in the .o created on ia64.

When I declared instances of these missing structures in the .c file, the information came to the .o file.

Is this a problem with gcc in getting the debug information in dwarf2 format?

Any comments on how to get the complete debug info will be helpful.

gcc version: 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-14)
binutils version: 2.14.90.0.4 20030523

Thanks,
Rens.