Re: m68k bootstrapping broken

Richard Zidlicky wrote:

../../gcc-3.4-20031210/gcc/config/m68k/m68k.c:3285: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
make[2]: *** [m68k.o] Error 1

Are you building with --enable-werror ?

yes, thats what "make bootstrap" did for me. I had to override the Makefile to proceed to the next error.

Beware that recent CVS snapshots throw quite a few warnings due to aggressive optimizations employing a GCC extension for non-integer bitfields.

This is a long-standing warning,
I'll fix that.

thanks.

It's now fixed in CVS. I've also noticed a few warnings in m68k.md, but I've not yet investigated them.

% m68k-uclinux-gcc -O2 -DIN_GCC -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings

did you ever bootstrap the compiler on uclinux? It does not happen
here with a crosscompiler here either.. in fact it built libgcc
and libstdc without problems.

I couldn't ever build GCC *on* uClinux: my only ColdFire board has just 4MB of ram and 2MB of flash ;-)

It does happen with stage1 bootstrapped gcc and with a gcc that was
itself cross compiled for m68k-linux.

Does gcc-3.4 use any new binutils features aggressively?

Not that I know of. AFAIK, any GCC version should work even with non GNU linkers. All the advanced linker stuff can be emulated by collect2.

I have the "--with-cpu" and global register variables patches,
both very low on the list of suspects.

Hmmm... I'd suspect anything that changes m68k.md or the target hooks in m68k.h. Perhaps linux.h overrides something that interacts with register allocation?

That's good news.  As you might have noticed, the m68k backend has
been tortured quite a lot lately :-)

yes, quite a facelift.

I'm anxiously waiting for the 3.4 branch to remove even more cruft from the m68k backend. All targets using the SGS assembler have been deprecated and we can now get rid of it :-)

\X/  http://www.develer.com/