Re: Building binutils/gcc/glibc -

"Zack Weinberg" <zack@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> <shawn.starr@rogers.com> writes:
>> There is one thing that should be noted.
>>
>> The GNU Configure scripts seem to break with coreutils 5.0,
>> specifically head and tail programs no longer accept -# but now -n#
>
> This is a bug in coreutils 5.0.  Report it to the coreutils
> maintainers.

This is deliberate, and complaints from users have not changed the
minds of the coreutils maintainers so far.  RMS's authority will
probably be needed to change this.  But note that coreutils exhibits
this behavior only when told to do so, either at compile time by the
system headers via the _POSIX2_VERSION macro, or at run time by the
environment variable.  If neither of those is explicitly specified, it
defaults to supporting the old syntax.  (I asked for a ./configure
option to override the system headers, and was told such a patch would
be welcome.)

paul