Re: When to emit C++ debug info?

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:48:23AM -0800, Devang Patel wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2004, at 12:25 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> >And the concept of shipping debugging information for every C++ library
> >in Debian in order to be able to debug programs which use those
> >libraries is a truly gruesome one.  Almost no one wants the debug
> >information for all of QT, and GDB doesn't want to load it
> >unnecessarily either.  And our mirrors certainly don't want to, since I
> >estimate it would be a minimum of 70MB just for one copy of QT 3.x.
> >Add in that people develop using the shipped shared library components
> >of Mozilla, well, you see where I'm going.
>
> If debug info. is shipped in separate files then user needs to get
> it only once and that also only when he wants to debug library code.
>
> There are two different set of debugging info. a library vendor can
> supply. Full debug info which allows user to debug library code
> and single step into implementation. Second set is smaller, and that is
> just debug info for the exported types only (just headers). When user
> includes library headers, compiler generates second set of debug. info
> all the time for all .o files. If only second set is supplied with
> library
> than also it can help to reduce size as well as compilation time.

(A) There is no way at present to produce this information.

(B) Everything you need to produce this information is already
available to the user (i.e. the headers).  Why should it be built with
the library?

(C) Have you ever tried to go back to a vendor and ask them to build
something else and ship it to you to make your life easier?  Try it
some time, it's not a refreshing (or cheap) experience.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz