Re: When to emit C++ debug info?

On Jan 3, 2004, at 5:36 PM, Geoff Keating wrote:

Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:05:42 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Lattner <sabre@nondot.org>

Geoff Keating writes:
I think we'll want to be able to do it these ways:
- One way where the minimal debugging information is emitted so that
when put together, the whole program has complete debugging
information; and
- Another way where complete information is emitted for a single file.

I'm not sure why you'd want something between these two extremes.

Why not always do #2, and have the linker eliminate the duplicate information?

Because it makes .o files large, and that makes the linker slow because it has to process the huge collection of .o files.

Plus compiler spends non-zero time generating duplicate debug info and putting it in many .o files.

--
Devang