Re: Can't build m68k-elf target with gcc-3.3.2 or gcc-3.4-20031224tree

Bernardo,
Thank you for the tip on removing the libstdc++-v3 directory prior to running configure.
I was able to get through the build. Now I'll look into what it will take to get libstdc++-v3
to build.

Thanks much.
----------------------------------
Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

Paul Cadaret wrote:

I have been trying various things for almost a week trying to get gcc-3.3.2 & gcc-3.4-20031224 to build properly for a target of
'm68k-elf'.

I've always been building the m68k-elf target successfully with
both 3.3.2 and 3.4.

 I have found several GCC-FAQs that provided several useful hints
but I have yet to make it all the way through the build.

I am running configure as follows:

   ---configure-complete---
   ${SHELL}  ${SRCDIR}/configure                                 \
           --prefix=$LOCAL                                         \
           --target=m68k-elf                                       \
           --program-prefix=m68k-elf-                              \
           --with-gnu-as                                           \
           --with-gnu-ld                                           \
           --enable-languages="c,c++,objc"                         \
           --disable-nls                                           \
           --verbose                                               \
           #

You can't enable c++ on m68k-elf because it's an embedded target
and libstdc++ requires an underlying C library to work.

Either do --enable-languages='c' or add --with-newlib and build
newlib along with (or before) GCC.

I looked
into the associated configure script for libstdc++-v3 but it is 60,000 lines long and virtually unreadable.

Try reading the configure.in file, from which the configure script is
being generated.

Q:
1. Is the 'm68k-elf' target still supported? If so, I'll file a bug report. If not, is there another m68k-elf target variant that is supported?

Yes it is. Please note that m68k-elf is an embedded target and is meant
to be used on bare metal boards only. No shared libraries or fancy stuff
is supported. There are several other m68k-*-* targets for specific OSes.

I just want a gcc/g++ cross-compiler & libraries that I can adapt for a real-time kernel target. It's OK if some of the
library routines make some incroorect assumptions about the OS environment for now.

Ah, ok then.  If you just want the C++ compiler without the C++ support
library, you might delete the libstdc++-v3 directory before building.

When you're happy with the compiler, you could re-enable libstdc++ and
try to port it to your system.  You just need to write (or modify) a
few headers containg glue code for ctype and locale stuff.  Look in
libstdc++-v3/config/os/generic/ to get an idea.