Re: Removing -frwitable-strings

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 02:11:29PM +0000, Nathan Sidwell wrote:

Joe Buck wrote:

If similar ratios hold for the Debian distro (with 10,000 packages),
it suggests that 100 will break.  That might be a show-stopper.  In
any case, in the past when we have deprecated a feature we've done it
over two *major* releases, as in: deprecate in 3.4, remove in 3.5.

The debian site says <http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/> 'The major planned changes for sarge currently include ... and use of GCC 3.2 as the default compiler on architectures that used 2.95 so far.'

which suggests it will be immune from any deprecation in the immediate
future.

That information is, however, obsolete. It's actually 3.3.
ok, then deprecating it in 3.3 will be a good thing for debian, as they'll
get a heads up now that it's going away (should they be tracking the point
releases). Deprecating in 3.4 would not give that warning.

nathan

         The voices in my head said this was stupid too