Re: Removing -frwitable-strings

On Dec 19, 2003, at 12:24 PM, Syd Polk wrote:

How could we make it more likely that people in future who are in a
similar position to that you were in then will have read the manual;
specifically, the section "Incompatibilities" that explains that strings
are readonly; or the comp.lang.c FAQ, which also mentions the issue?

Make -Wwrite-strings on by default. Otherwise, people who port to gcc for the first time (like me when this happened) won't see it.

Dunno if it should be on by default, but I'd at least like to see it on with -Wall, at least with C++. Lots of people try to make their code compile cleanly under -Wall. Far fewer go through the manual seeking for switches to give them even more warnings.

--Matt