Re: VMS and VAX support in GCC

> Note that GCC currently *already* supports Alpha/OpenVMS; if you can use
> common code between that and your new VAX/VMS port, that might help you.
> I do not recommend reviving the old VAX/VMS port as it was an ugly mess
> which hadn't worked for years, and it doesn't correspond to the current
> GCC coding standards.

Oh, so only the VAX version of VMS support is going away.  No problem.

My goal is to make it so that Alpha and Itanium configure and compile
using the tools you already have, instead of being another "one off"
platform.  Now that bash is available, we can be one of the gang.

> You'll probably need to read the GCC internals manual, which is
> somewhere on gcc.gnu.org.

I'll look for it...

> In other words, not useful for VAX/VMS support now.  Volunteering?  ;-)

Actually, the people at HP who are working on GNV are interested in
creating a VAX version, time permitting.  Right now, they have their hands
full with prting all the open-source Unix/Linux tools.

> (I guess there's a possible port for Itanium/VMS there too, if you're
> volunteering....)

Yep.  I should have an Itanium box in a few months for a different client.
That would be the right time to start.  VMS on Itanium will be ELF format,
so there may be code from other ports that is useful.  The Alpha and VAX
formats will stay the same.

--Stan Quayle
Quayle Consulting Inc.

Stanley F. Quayle, P.E.   N8SQ   +1 614-868-1363   Fax: +1 614 868-1671
8572 North Spring Ct., Pickerington, OH  43147  USA
Preferred address:  stan@stanq.com         http://www.stanq.com