Re: [tree-ssa] Maintaining/representing def-use/use-def information

On Dec 15, 2003, at 4:14 PM, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:

Hello,

No, we don't. We don't have any concept of "defining variable" or
"versions" at all. Though all SSA construction papers talk about building
versions of source variables, once you start doing transformations, that
idea becomes quickly meaningless.

except for ssa-pre, that requires the original variable names.

Uh, only to determine lexical equivalence of expressions.

I still
consider it an indication that there is something rotten with the
optimization, but did not get the idea how to make it better so far.

Give me value numbers, and it'll do it based on value numbers.