Re: Should -fcross-jumping be part of -O1?

Scott Robert Ladd <coyote@coyotegulch.com> writes:

> 4) Is it reasonable to perform different optimizations on different
> architectures? It seems to me that a PowerPC or Opteron has very
> different characteristics from a P4, but maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Yes.  Many ports already use the OPTIMIZATION_OPTIONS targe macro to
adjust specific optimizations based on the optimization level.  Also,
several ports have machine specific optimization options which may
have interesting effects on the results:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.2/gcc/Submodel-Options.html#Submodel%20Options

Since you mention a Mac, for the PowerPC there are options like
-mmultiple, -mstring and -mfused-madd.

Ian