Re: Will tree-ssa be GCC 3.5?

Robert Dewar wrote:
I still think that's the wrong question. The issue is not "when under the current circumstances" will tree-ssa go mainline, but rather when it will go mainline if the National labs supports the product.

To which I would reply: Why should the National Labs support a software project without some sense that it is viable? If there is not intention for tree-ssa to become mainline, it would be pointless to spend money on it, now wouldn't it? Thankfully, others have indeed confirmed that tree-ssa is destined for a public debut.

As I said, it is a catch-22; The folks at the national labs need confidence in the practical reality of gfortran before being willing to fund it, while the GCC developers refuse to commit to gfortran's realization without funding.

The twain will never meet if both parties remain in their individual corners. Thus it was my goal to nudge the two parties toward each other, first by getting a sense of the community support for tree-ssa and gfortran.

If there is a big infusion of resources into the G95 project, then it will completely change the picture. It is this changed picture that the National Labs should evaluate, not the current situation.

You are asking them to evaluate a theoretical situation (your "changed picture") without any data to support it. How do they know that providing money will improve gfortran development? If you don't give any estimates or answers under current circumstances, how do they know if their investment is effective?

--
Scott Robert Ladd