Re: Optimization: Conclusions from Evolutionary Analysis

Jan Hubicka wrote:
> Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
Being stuck with a Pentium 4 (Northwood), I haven't been able to see how the SSE options affect code on the Opteron. -msse is implied by -march=pentium4; I've checked this, both in the GCC source code and by comparing compiles with and without -msse.
Interesting, it looks like we do something terribly wrong for P4.
P4 tunning needs work :( Perhaps I can look into it during stage3.

I can confirm these problems; I'm developing floting-point-intensive applications on a Pentium 4 and was not able to get any noticeable performance increases from -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=ss2 (or sse,387 etc.).

Cheers,
  Martin