Re: Help with installing gcc (http://gcc.gnu.org/install/)

Josephine;

  People have been patient with me (sometimes), so I am patient with you :-)

  Something that I just remembered to ask you, I should have asked you this
before.  Is this a binary gcc package or a source gcc package?  If it is a
source package then the URL I provided before gives you the instructions,
which are, summarized:

configure
make
make install

  But if this is a binary gcc package, like from http://www.sunfreeware.com/,
you should use the instructions provided there...

  If you are responsible for providing tools for others then you acting as a
software build engineer and/or UNIX sysadmin.  You should be given sufficient
tools to perform your job.  If you do not have complete root access, then you
should be given at least partial root access via the sudo command.  You
should not have to use chmod to have access to that area to place the
compiler there.  If it necessary to do that you should chose some other area
to place the compiler.  If you do have root access to install the compiler
there, then the developer will not need to have things altered by chmod.

  Once you have decided where gcc executeables are to be placed, the next
question is to ask whether or not you already have a compiler installed as
you cannot install a source gcc binary without having a local compiler.

Hope this clarifies things further,
Ken Wolcott