Re: Help with installing gcc (http://gcc.gnu.org/install/)

Hi Josephine;

  I have empathy for you as frequently I feel dumb too and that is why I'm
trying to help you.

  If you are installing gcc only for yourself or only for experimentation and
education, then it doesn't really matter where you install it as long as
there is sufficient disk space and that you have write permission in the
location that you chose.  Of course, if you have root access, then you can
install gcc wherever you want :-)  The only other thing that is important is
whether or not you already have an installed gcc compiler.  If you have a
Solaris box that has not been customized, you might not have a gcc compiler.
Usually installing in /usr/local is better as not to disturb things that have
been installed with pkgadd.  Sometimes installing in /opt is good.  If you
are not the sysadmin then you might want to consult with the sysadmin if you
have one.

  It might be good to know what your intentions are with gcc in order to
assist you more effectively.

  Please remember to send email messages to gcc@sources.redhat.com (the gcc
mailing list) rather than to me directly.

Hope this is helpful,
Ken Wolcott