Re: sanity of Fortran COMMONs in shared libs

   It turns out there are no problems with g77 3.4's
handling of COMMON blocks in shared libs as I feared.
I was mistaking an error in some custom heap management
code for a library load problem. Once I backported into
the darwin-specific heap management routine the same
workarounds that had been done for linux the problem
disappeared. So Darwin's linker looks pretty good
at this point with regard to shared libs and Fortran.
                           Jack