Re: Bug 12098: Detecting a valid assembler

Dara Hazeghi wrote:
in bug 12098 we have the oft reported problem that
ia64-hpux bootstraps currently require GNU as

Historically, all we do for such targets is document that you need to use GNU as. If you don't remember, you get assembler errors, and to any clued in user that indicates that you need GNU as. For the rest, we just point them at the docs.

We don't have configure tests to detect the presence of GNU as, but we do have tests for GNU as features. If there is a particular feature we need that is present in Intel/GNU as but not in HP as, then we could write a configure test for that feature. Then in config/ia64/hpux.h we could have
#ifndef HAVE_GAS_FEATURE_NAME
#error "This port requires GNU as."
#endif

Another possible solution would be to add a configure check for the --with-gas patch. This would be a minor inconvenience for people who already have GNU as installed. The ia64-hpux target defaults to GNU as because we know we need it, and thus --with-gas is not currently needed. However, if we choose to require it, then we could give an error if it is missing.
if test x$gas = xno
then
echo "This target requires GNU as."
exit 1
fi

My preference would be to just do nothing, though if a volunteer wrote a patch we can certainly look at it. I don't have access to ia64-hpux, so I don't know why GNU as is required.