Re: Future of gccbug

On 03-11-07 17:39:56, Daniel Berlin wrote:

| On Nov 7, 2003, at 4:16 PM, gnat-dev@buzco.nyct.net wrote:

| > On 03-11-07 15:22:31, Daniel Berlin wrote:

| > | On Nov 7, 2003, at 3:17 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

| > [snip]

| > | Yes it does. It adds both "In-Reply-To" and "References:" as
| > appropriate.

| > | This was done so the bugzilla replies thread properly.

| > === End quoted text ===

| > Your idea of "appropriate" and mine seem to differ. For instance, this
| > list seems to keep the message-id, in-reply-to and references from the
| > original mail. Result -- the mail threads nicely within the discussion.

| Right, that's what i meant

Ah, but bugzilla mail does +not+ do so! (see below)

| > OTOH, bugzilla puts the message-id of the +original+ PR in both
| > in-reply-to and references. Result -- no threading within a PR.

| > Also, bugzilla changes the message-id, also a pain.

| It has to in order to make it do what it does now.
| It's the way it constructs message ids that let's it thread.

But why +construct_ message ids on stuff that comes in by mail? better
to just keep the one in the incoming mail.

| It doesn't store the message ids of messages it's sent out (and this
| wouldn't help, since we don't know what comments are replies to other
| comments).

You certainly do for stuff arriving by mail, it is in the

| > BTW, incoming mail goes through a duplicate message filter which is
| > defeated by changing the message-id; and I read it in the Mutt.

[snip (stuff about how mail displays)]

| > It would also be nice if stuff displayed on bugzilla-WWW was threaded
| > instead of flat.

| It can't.
| It doesn't know what is a reply and what isn't.
| There's no tracking of what comments are replies to other comments.
| This is fairly common in bug-tracking systems. In fact, I'm not really
| aware of one that does threaded messages in a WWW interface.

That is as may be, maybe the WWW interface can't be improved. Is there a
way to +not+ show the messages on the WWW page, since I get them all by
mail anyway? Just show everything else?

=== End quoted text ===

== Buz :)

--
Buz Cory of BuzCo Systems -- New York NY USA http://BuzCo dot nyct dot net
<gnat-dev at BuzCo dot nyct dot net> (Buz as GNAT Programmer)