Re: Beginner's question:Are there any inter-procedural optimization in GCC backend ?

"Zack Weinberg" <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> writes:
| >
| > Complaints about inlining regressions from 2.95.x to 3.x are evidence
| > that  the RTL-inliner is not doing the same as the tree-inliner.
|
| The complaints are of the form "I expected X to be inlined into Y and
| it wasn't."

If you go back the August debate on inlining, you'll see report that
the 2.95.x RTL-inliner is doing better jobs that the 3.x tree-inliner.

[...]

| Could you give examples of cases where you think inlining could do a
| better job with access to hardware details?

those are part of the the routinary arguments why the compiler knowns
better than the programmer.  Again, go back to the August debate on
inline.

-- Gaby