Re: Beginner's question:Are there any inter-procedural optimization in GCC backend ?

Gabriel Dos Reis writes:
 > Jim Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com> writes:
 >
 > | We do have function inlining in RTL, and this has been around for a
 > | long time, but this is on the way out, because RTL is too low level
 > | for this optimization.  It is being replaced with a tree level
 > | function inliner. The RTL function inliner is in integrate.c.
 >
 > Hmm, it has been my understanding thta the tree-inliner will not
 > (automatically) have us throw away the RTL-inliner.

In addition to Jim's comments: once inlining has been done at tree
level, there will be few opportunities to do more inlining.  It seems
unlikely that there will be much gained by continuing to maintain the
RTL inliner for these rare occasions.

Andrew.