Re: powerpc & unaligned block moves with fp registers

On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 04:21 AM, Robert Dewar wrote:

We should be very careful to not remove `working' and reasonable
semantics that are widely implemented and depended on by existing code,
just because some standard can be read in such a way that suggest that
something might not be mandated to work.

I agree with this, actually, but the group seems to be moving more in the
direction of not supporting anything nonstandard (strict aliasing, which
broke lots of existing code including gcc itself, springs to mind).

I would think that many C programs assume that access to a volatile variable
is in fact atomic if the machine can easily generate instructions to make
it so, given that standard C lacks a mechanism for specifying atomic access,
so I would agree with Mike that you want to be careful here on making changes.

I would have to be shown that there is existing code that expects volatile
accesses to misaligned doubles to be atomic. This doesn't even work in
many environments.