Re: mainline "exploding"

> > Perhaps I can work on something like conservative -funit-at-a-time mode
> > (huh, yet another mode)
>
> GCC already has far too many modes.  We don't need more, we need less.

Agreed :)

> If you don't think -funit-at-a-time is ready for prime time, fine.

I think it is ready for -O1 when there is still way to disable it for
programs not updated to deal with it and I think it should stay that way
at least for some version.  I sent patch for that already.
Would be ok to apply that patch and leave the regression with -O1
-fno-unit-at-a-time?

> But, in that case, we need to address Gerald's complaint about -O1
> blowing up.  I'm not sure who's responsible for that change -- but if
> was you, you should come up with a patch that throttles back the code at
> -O1. :-)
I also think we need less parameters, so I would preffer to stay with
one if at all possible.

Honza