Re: Proposed targets to deprecate for 3.4

Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com> writes:

>> There has got to be a better way to do that.
>
> Perhaps a (new) TARGET_ASM_FUNCTION_BEGIN_PROLOGUE?  If you're
> opposed to TARGET_ASM_FUNCTION_END_PROLOGUE, look at alpha.

No, I'm not opposed to ..._END_PROLOGUE; it has a well-defined task
that doesn't overlap with another mechanism.  Could you use
ASM_FUNCTION_START for what you need, maybe?

But I was thinking more in terms of marking prologue insns specially
so that the "avoid renumbering" effect doesn't depend on magic state
outside the RTL.  Say, with a port-specific REG_NOTE.  (I don't know
if this is possible.)

>> Incidentally, must we have eval: (c-set-style "gnu") at the bottom of
>> files?  It just makes emacs slow to visit them (since it has to pause
>> and show the eval: to the user).
>
> I think of that eval as a convenience.  Maybe it isn't, and I
> should fold chosing the mode into code in a mode-hook that looks
> at the directory context.  Do you visit those files often?

It's a nuisance when I'm doing a sweep through all the files in the
config/ directory: imagine typing C-x C-f mm TAB mm TAB .c RET
C-s SOME_MACRO without stopping for breath only to notice that
everything after the RET got eaten by y-or-n-p...  and then I usually
reflexively hit C-g which aborts the entire find-file and I have to
start over. :-(

I suppose you have your default style set to something else?  I do so
little work on anything other than GNU-indented code that I just leave
that the default (it's not my preferred style, although it has become
habitual).

zw