Re: [tree-ssa] Java: Decls that alias?

Andrew Haley wrote:
Jeff Sturm writes:
 > Do you think users really care much about symbolic debugging when
 > compiling class files?

Oh yes. People here at Red Hat care very much indeed.

 > I presume they'd only need it when they don't have source code, in
 > which case the symbolic debug info is only marginally useful
 > anyhow.

We have used the dubug info to find bugs in the bytecode compiler,
amongst other things.  I'm going to look at anonymous unions.

In some cases class files are used as an intermediate language, and the source code is in some other language. Specifically, Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/) can compile various languages (Scheme, XQuery, Emacs Lisp) to class files which can then be compiled using gcj to native code. This doesn't provide very good debugging, but at least it is something. -- --Per Bothner per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/