Re: 3.4 installation problems: libc is somewhere unusual

Jim Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com> wrote:
> $ac_link gets set from flags passed down by the toplevel configure.  See
> EXTRA_TARGET_FLAGS.  So I think if you add the -Wl options to
> CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET, then they will end up in libstdc++'s $ac_link, and
> configure should work.  There is also CC_FOR_TARGET and LD_FOR_TARGET,
> you might want to modify.

Ok, here's my new procedure (it works!): I set
{C,CPLUS,OBJC}_INCLUDE_PATH to include glibc's include directory.  I
set LIBRARY_PATH to include glibc's lib directory.  I edit the
top-level Makefile.in to include the appropriate linker flags
(-Wl,--dynamic-linker,... and -Wl,-R,...) in LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET;
setting them on make's command line doesn't work, because that
variable doesn't get passed to recursive makes.  I edit
gcc/Makefile.in to set NATIVE_SYSTEM_HEADER_DIR to glibc's include
directory.  (This is the new change needed for 3.4; it's unnecessary
but harmless to also change it for earlier versions, AFAICT.)  Lastly,
on make's command line, I include the same linker flags in LDFLAGS,
HOST_LDFLAGS, and BOOT_LDFLAGS.

Thanks for the pointers.

paul