Dynamic FUNCTION_OUTGOING_VALUE?

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to get FUNCTION_OUTGOING_VALUE to return something else than a
fixed value based on the type of the return operand? I'd like to have all
functions returning their value into a pseudo-register instead of a fixed
hard one. This would just be for outgoing values. Since
FUNCTION_OUTGOING_VALUE is called several times for each function call, I
can't set it to gen_reg_rtx(mode). I don't even know if it would work with
something else than a hard reg. Anyone who did or know about something
similar?

Thanks,
Alex.