Re: yacc/bison build errors on current CVS

> > In my opinion, moving away from default POSIX compatibility would be
> > an extremely bad idea.
>
>        I can understand the unease. But consider this: POSIX is
>  already over a decade old; and it standardized practices that were
>  old at the time the standard was ratified.  Some of the proscriptions
>  laid out in POSIX stood in the way of creating reentrant scanners, or
>  the ability to have multiple scanners in the same program (with
>  different defaults, perhaps). The authors of Flex have decided to
>  pursue functionality, rather then hold to strict adherence of POSIX.

Don't get me wrong.  Adding functionality is a great idea.  But in my
opinion moving away from *default* POSIX compatibility would be an
extremely bad idea.

Standards exist for a reason.  It's so that people can write the same
code on different hosts.  Standards don't have to be followed
religiously.  But breaking backward compatibility and standard
compatibility at the same time, well, words fail me.

Again, I haven't actually looked at the code.

Ian