Re: 3.4 installation problems: libc is somewhere unusual

Paul Jarc wrote:
My glibc installation is not in the usual place.  This means I have to
pull a few tricks to build gcc, but the tricks that worked for gcc up
to 3.3.1 (tweaking C_INCLUDE_PATH and LIBRARY_PATH, and adding the
appropriate -Wl,--dynamic-linker and -Wl,-R arguments to
STAGE1_CFLAGS, BOOT_CFLAGS, and LDFLAGS) don't work for 3.4-20030910.

What I did to solve a situation quite like this:

- edit your linker scripts (in directory ldscripts/) to
  include SEARCH_DIR("/wherever/your/glibc/is");
  (preferably before the other paths already there, don't
  want to pick up an old library by mistake).
  (Yes, build and install a separate binutils to go
  with your new glibc and GCC; that'll save you a lot
  of problems).
- edit libc.so to explicitly link to ld.so (ld-linux.so.2,
  in your case); imho this should be there always, as
  libc.so.N requires to be linked (at runtime) against
  the matching version of ld.so anyway.
- edit the ld.so.conf that goes with your glibc to include
  the path to your glibc (and run the new ldconfig).
- put the new binutils in front of your path, and everything
  should Just Work(tm).

I think I didn't forget anything here, but feel free to ask
more if so.  But off-list, as this is not really a GCC
problem, more a problem with the rest of your toolchain.

Segher