This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: "short pretty" names?
- From: Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot dot org>
- To: John Levon <levon at movementarian dot org>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:16:57 -0500 (CDT)
- Subject: Re: "short pretty" names?
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:08:48AM -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I'm looking to get this from _within_ GCC
> Why ?
Because my backend is generating type names and they are too long.
Ideally the user will never see these type names (they are not for error
messages), but for debugging purposes (of the backend) it would be handy
to have. The idea of fork/execing another processes to generate thousands
of names is not appealing, and adds extra dependencies on the compiler.