Re: SSA PRE and Open64

On Aug 27, 2003, at 4:24 PM, law@redhat.com wrote:

In message <1062012956.2586.5.camel@ghostwheel.sfbay.redhat.com>, Eric Christop
her writes:
Quick question, what's the copyright status associated with this code?

It's rewritten based on algorithms in Open64 and the paper. It's not direct copying of any kind. We couldn't if we wanted to.
As with your last update we're now down to the same function names.

Only for clarity.
If you look at the implementations of most functions, they are quite different.

I think I can rely upon you to educate me? :)
More importantly, if we're taking code from Open64

We aren't.

or deriving code from
Open64,
We aren't.

then it not only needs a compatible copyright,
Which it has anyway (It's GPL'd)
but the Open64
bits we're using need to be assigned to the the FSF -- which can only be
done by the copyright holder on Open64 itself.

But we aren't, so we don't need to worry about it.
If i was writing code that was derivative of what they did, starting from their code, i would have taken care of all of this before starting, not later on.
--Dan