Re: word alignment for non fp/sp register pointers for SPARClet port

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:31:50PM +0530, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> 	I know that this is not inline with SPARC (hence SPARClet)
> 	ABI, but our malloc and all of system is based on old
> 	SPARC ABI. Till now we were using egcs 1.1 which is based
> 	on old sparclet ABI. Now since we are migrating to GCC 3.2
> 	and latter GCC 3.3 we are facing this problem.	Since it
> 	is not possible to change the whole system s/w so soon,
> 	I'm trying to fix GCC as per old ABI.

The "old abi" also assumed double-word alignment for double-word
values.  There did exist peepholes to do the same thing that the
current compilers do; if they weren't as effective, that was a bug.

As for the rest of this, it would *really* be much less effort to
just replace the malloc on your system with something not broken.
You don't have to replace "the whole system s/w", just provide a
replacement malloc.

r~