Re: [using gcc book] 5.20 double-word integers

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> Finally, when rereading the whole "Double-word Integers" section,
> it seems obvious that it was written before the existence of 64 bit
> machines, in which registers are twice the size of an int, and often
> use exactly the same instructions for 32 and 64 bit operations.

In which case, it's yet another section that could really do with a
complete rewrite from scratch to bring it more up to date.

That seems to be pretty common...

Barring that, I might just strengthen the note about how word length is
sensitive to the hardware you're dealing with, and it may be necessary
to refer to platform specific documentation for these things.

That also seems to be pretty common...

--
Chris Devers cdevers@pobox.com
http://devers.homeip.net:8080/