Re: Coreutils head and tail problems

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:58:13AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> These are deliberate and will not change.  GCC has to maintain
> backward compatibility with platforms which do not support head -n1,
> tail -n1, etc ... the issues you have found are merely the tip of the
> iceberg.

I agree that the fact that the coreutils people broke gcc builds was a
mistake; even if we decide to change, we can't retroactively fix gcc
builds that we have already released.  But which systems don't support
head -n1 and tail -n1?  I've scouted about 8 OS flavors I have access to
(Solaris, HP-UX, SGI-MIPS, Alpha OSF, FreeBSD, Linux, AIX) and they all
handle it.  SunOS4, perhaps?