Re: [using gcc book] ch1 objective-c blurb

On Mon, 26 Aug 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> Chris Devers <cdevers@pobox.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | Okay okay, I stand corrected. Care to try a rewrite then?
> |
> |     Compilation of Objective-C programs is done with the same
> |     driver that is used for C code.  This eliminates the need
>                                 ^^^^
>
> s/code/programs/.
>
> |                                     This eliminates the need
> |     for an intermediate C version,
>

>     This eliminates needs to translate Objective-C programs into
>     C equivalent before assembly code generation.
>
> ?

Mmmm, "this eliminates needs" sounds stilted.

    Compilation of Objective-C programs is done with the same
    driver that is used for C programs.  This eliminates the need
    to translate Objective-C programs into C equivalent before
    assembly code generation.

And I'm unclear if it's still fair to tack on

    , and allows for better object
    code and better debugging capabilities.

?

More importantly, based on another branch of this thread, I'm not sure
that the lack of a C intermediate is a significant assertion anyway.

If it would put things in perspective, feel free to read all of chapter
one from <http://devers.homeip.net:8080/gccbook/edited/gcc_chd.pdf>.
The chapter is short, but not quite short enough to be appropriate to
paste into an email to the list.  If anyone wants the plain ascii or
texinfo offlist, feel free to ask me for the current snapshot.

In light of the comments about all these implementation details, I'm
starting to wonder if chapter one is terse to the point of being
inaccurate, and saying anything at all about ObjC will server to only
further muddy the waters... :-/

--
Chris Devers    cdevers@pobox.com