Re: [using gcc book] ch1 objective-c blurb

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Ziemowit Laski wrote:

> On Monday, Aug 25, 2003, at 18:24 US/Pacific, Chris Devers wrote:
>
> > Here's my ObjC paragraph:
> >
> >     Compilation of Objective-C programs is done with GCC itself,
> >     rather than a front end like G++ or GNAT. As with G++
> >     programs, the lack of a preprocessor and the direct build
> >     of object code from your Objective-C program source provides
> >     better object code and better debugging capabilities.
>
> Huh? :-)  Every language is handled by _some_ front end.  I think what
> you mean to say is that Objective-C is handled by the same _driver_
> (i.e., 'gcc')  as C code. The 'g++' binary is also a driver, and (I
> believe) 'gnat' as well. :-)

Okay, that makes sense.  Actually, 'gnat' is mentioned only in passing --
it is not meant to be an Ada book :)

> Also, instead of 'lack of a preprocessor', I think you mean 'no need for
> an intermediate C version', as in the C++ case.  Objective-C definitely
> uses a preprocessor -- otherwise, you wouldn't be able to handle
> #include's!  :-)

Okay okay, I stand corrected. Care to try a rewrite then?

    Compilation of Objective-C programs is done with the same
    driver that is used for C code.  This eliminates the need
    for an intermediate C version, and allows for better object
    code and better debugging capabilities.

Patches welcome :)

And I take note of Colin Howell's comments -- if this paragraph needn't
be paralleled to the the G++ one, that's fine. The bigger point was just
that of the three languages discussed at any length in the text, two of
the three got a writeup in chapter 1, but Objective-C didn't. I took a
guess, copying wildly and not knowing what exactly should be said. If
anyone knows more Objective-C -- like say someone at Apple -- feel free to
offer something more appropriate about GCC and the language.

Thanks again

--
Chris Devers    cdevers@pobox.com

beta, adj.
(Of a software version) the one that ships.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995