This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: m32r-elf build requires gdb?
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at tuliptree dot org>
- To: Dara Hazeghi <dhazeghi at yahoo dot com>
- Cc: newlib at sources dot redhat dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:33:32 -0700
- Subject: Re: m32r-elf build requires gdb?
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Dara Hazeghi wrote:
needed by `m32r-stub.o'. Stop.
This file isn't needed to get a functional compiler. The gdb stub is
only needed if you want to run code on a target board and talk to it via
gdb. Including it in the linker script is a convenient way to make sure
it gets loaded, since most people will have a need for this. There is
an alternate linker script that doesn't use the gdb stuf if you don't
want it, though there are curious and probably wrong differences between
the two scripts.
Where to put the gdb stubs is an issue that has been debated to death in
the past, with some people insisting on putting them in gdb because they
are gdb specific and some people insisting on putting them in newlib (or
some other library) because they are library files. We've never been
able to come to agreement on this issue.
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com