This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Our apologies for the virus reject notices
- From: "Zack Weinberg" <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Super-User <abuse at atmel dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:52:55 -0700
- Subject: Re: Our apologies for the virus reject notices
- References: <200308201912.MAA05771@helium.atmel.com>
Super-User <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Thanks especially for Paul and Phil for taking the
> time to bring this to our attention.
> I have just updated the filters to DISCARD any emails
> based on the Sobig subjects.
We appreciate your addressing this problem.
> How then to notify LEGITIMATE senders that they are
> infected? or this is really getting hopeless???
For all email viruses of this form, it is hopeless; they all spoof the
sender address. I suppose you could try to divine the real sender's
ISP from the Received: headers, but without human verification this
will also cause lots of junk mail to uninvolved people.