This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Optimal Optimizations: A Very Preliminary Report
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- To: Nathanael Nerode <neroden at twcny dot rr dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:05:02 -0400
- Subject: Re: Optimal Optimizations: A Very Preliminary Report
>>>>> Nathanael Nerode writes:
Nathanael> Hmm. Which of our arches are out-of-order and which of them are
Nathanael> in-order? I believe that -fschedule-insns has been reported to make
Nathanael> things worse on sh, powerpc, x86, and ia64. :-/
Out-of-order is not a characteristic of an architecture; for
instance, PowerPC processors are implemented in both in-order and
out-of-order designs. -fschedule-insns sometimes helps and sometimes
hurts -- mainly causing problems due to over-speculation.