Re: Why does -pedantic make long long an error in C++?

kaih@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:

| (1) It is unclear to me why one would want to have -pedantic do *anything*
| to a condition that already causes an error without -pedantic. That seems
| to me to be a misuse of the concept.

It is unclear to me why one would have to say *pedantic* when the
issue is to avoid (inadvertently) depending on a language extension.
That whole name is a misuse of concept.  It contributes to making
students and/or programmers confused -- because of the very
condescending name, some just tend to ignore the whole thing; first
hand experience as teacher and trainer.

-- Gaby