Re: Optimal Optimizations: A Very Preliminary Report

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Considering the 18% improvement over -O3, this clearly suggests that
at -O42 gcc should automatically compile code with several different
options and compare the results by running them through a CPU pipeline
simulator...

Give me ASCI Purple, and I'll give it a try! ;) Heck, give me ASCI Purple, and I'll rule the world! Whaah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Ahem.

The actual improvement was over 38%, BTW. Yes, I'm compulsive. ;)

Perhaps compilation is not the data analysis problem I always thought
it was, but is rather more of a directed search problem.

Ultimately, I think it is a combination of the two approaches. More than one compilation of a function may be efficacious in different circumstances within the same program -- and data analysis of decision might refine the results from a directed search .

Whether such is practical (or necessary) with current hardware is open for discussion.

--
Scott Robert Ladd