Re: Optimal Optimizations: A Very Preliminary Report

Toshi <tm_gccmail@mail.kloo.net> said:
>Please don't suggest abandoning -fschedule-insns unless you understand
>the full intricacies of the situation and have a viable alternative.

I'm not suggesting ripping it out of the code base.

However, it should *not* be activated by default at any optimization
level (until it is fixed), since it consistently makes things worse on
at least x86 and PowerPC.  Currently it is activated by default at -O2,
which is stupid given that it's known to make things worse most of the
time.

>The current problem with sched1 isn't the concept of scheduling before
>register allocation; rather, it's allowing the scheduler unrestrained
>freedom to move instructions before register allocation which can
>raise register pressure unnecessarily. People are working on a solution
>for this already.

Yeah, but it doesn't look like the fix will be in for 3.4 or even 3.5.
It should be turned off.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html