Re: biarch gcc

Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:

[...]
> Secondly, getting header files right is not so easy.  Typically, some 32
> bit headers are different from the corresponding 64 bit header.  It's
> possible to hack around this problem by creating lots of stubs that test
> __powerpc64__ and then include the real header, or by using esoteric
> -isystem gcc options.  You also need to deal with patched headers
> installed by fixincludes, which might get in the way of such hacks.

The Glibc headers for sparc, s390 and x86_64 were written with that in
mind and do not have any problems that I'm aware of.  What problems
exactly do you have?

> For these reasons, I propose that biarch compilers are only enabled when
> --enable-biarch is given to configure.  At least, thats the way I want
> it for powerpc64-linux, and will follow up with a patch tomorrow.

No, please do not change existing behaviour here.  It works fine on
the current biarch platforms.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany