Re: Analyzing Optimization: What's New in 3.4?

Andrew Pinski wrote:
With the new loop unroller comes an option called -fpeel-loops which you might want to try.

I'll add this to my list

Note: -funit-at-a-time is enabled by default at -O3 and above.

I'm compiling with -O1 and enabling specific flags to compare interactions and generated code performance; I've already added -funit-at-a-time to the mix.

Another thing you want want to try is intermodule optimizations (only works for C code though).

For specific reasons, my current tests exist in singular source files. That will change once my methods have stabilized.

No, but you can benchmark the tree-ssa branch which is replacing these options.

I'll look at tree-ssa once I've got the 3.4 "optimization optimizer" working.

-fnew-ra is a good option to benchmark (it might slow down the code though).
-ftracer is also sometimes a good option to use.

I'll add these as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Scott Robert Ladd