Re: On inlining in C++

On 5 Aug 2003, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> Richard Guenther <rguenth@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
> | Of course - but this looks like a workaround for a C++ defect, not like a
> | good design principle ;) I'd rather like
> |
> | void f(int) { ... }
> |
> | void g(int i) {
> |   inline f(5);
> |   f(i);
> | }
> |
> | to have one call inlined, not the other. But of course this aint C++...
>
> Please, let's separate new language features design from implementation
> of existing ones.

Of course - I was just thinking in public, as maybe such syntax would be
legal but without defined semantics. But in general a portable way to
specify such would be appreciated.

> The next C++ standards committee meeting is in September in Kona.  If
> you think that is something C++ should have, please submit a proposal.

I dont have time to do so and I'm not familiar with the process and I even
dont know C++ enough to think of all effects of such.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>