This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: On inlining in C++
- From: Andrew Haley <aph at redhat dot com>
- To: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:41:53 +0100
- Subject: Re: On inlining in C++
- References: <20030804163548.93772F2D7E@nile.gnat.com>
Robert Dewar writes:
> > Excellent article. I think that anyone who wishes to oppose the argument
> > should be asked to demonstrate that we can get better quality of results
> > by deviating from the simple approach Gaby describes; philosophical
> > arguments should not suffice.
> Well there is a burden of demonstration on both sides I would say, in terms
> of showing behavior on actual code.
Perhaps there is, but the Principle of Least Surprise favours a
fairly literal interpretation of "inline".